The Big Apple Knitters Guild has a strong commitment to knitting for people in need, and generously contributes their hand-knit items to several programs. The charitable organizations and projects that the guild currently supports are:
- Operation Gratitude: Scarves for the Troops: Scarves and hats are needed for our American troops. Scarves should be no longer than 4″ wide and 36″ long with no fringes (to fit into care packages). Any soft yarn is suitable. Any colors will be accepted, but subtle colors (e.g., blues, browns, olive, grey, maroon) are preferred.
- Knitted Knockers: Hand-knit soft, comfortable breast prosthetics for breast cancer survivors. Their website provides information about knitted knockers and patterns. Knitted knockers can be knit in the round or flat, and even crocheted. Yarn must be soft, durable, washable, non-wool (sport, DK, baby, or light worsted). Cotton must be mercerized so it remains soft after washing.
- Chemo Cap Drive in memory of Grace Shanahan, founding member and first BAKG President: Chemo caps should be knitted in sizes suitable for children or adults. Please knit these with cotton/cotton blends, soft acrylics, cashmere, or silk. Avoid wool, alpaca, or mohair, since these yarns can be scratchy and uncomfortable for sensitive scalps.
- New York City Rescue Mission: Requests knitted items for adults, including hats, scarfs, mittens, socks, blankets, and sweaters. Both wool and acrylic fibers are acceptable.
- The Seamen’s Church Institute (SCI): Through its Christmas at Sea program, SCI requests hats, scarfs, and cowls for seamen. Use any worsted weight yarn and knit items without fringes and tassels.
- The North Central Bronx Hospital, Maternity Unit: Requests knitted items for babies, including booties, blankets, mittens, hats, and sweaters. Items may be any size from preemie and birth to three years. Preferred fibers are cotton, acrylic, super-wash wool, and wool blends.
Semiannual charity knitting get-togethers are held at a BAKG member’s home. Information on dates, time, and location is available to members only.